As the weather cools down we are thinking more and more about ways to keep warm this coming winter.
Our most important layer? The base layer. From underwear, to long underwear, you want to be wearing the right layers to keep you warm (or even cool) while you are out enjoying the change of season.
Wool VS. Synthetic
First things first. Wool or synthetic. What’s better, warmer, wicking, least smelly?
- Faster Drying
- Best for damp, heat or high humidity
- Odors will build on multiday trips or between washes.
- Best for cool/cold conditions
- Offer more warmth
- Moisture in fabric will keep skin cool when in warm temperatures, promoting stable body temps
- Wool is naturally antibacterial and will hold little to no odor
Some of what we offer:
Patagonia Capilene in Daily, mid and expedition weight. A recently redesigned line that’s been around for a long time. Classic synthetic base layers, with new technology to insulate, ventilate, and reduce odors.
Merino Wool from Icebreaker and Smartwool. Warm and great looking, it’s the perfect choice for the cold, and often looks good enough to go from the peaks to the pub.
Synthetic boxers and briefs from ExOfficio. Very popular, and great fitting. An excellent choice in summer or winter.